History

PC Construction’s success over the past 57 years is due to its employees’ dedication to excellent work, customer service that exceeds expectations, and a safety program that has led to millions of zero-accident hours. Honesty and open communication have empowered PC Construction’s workforce since day one, and it shows in our work.

In 1958, Angelo G. Pizzagalli and two of his sons, Angelo and Remo, founded Pizzagalli Pre-Cast Stone to handle masonry construction and manufacture cut stone. Since the beginning, the Pizzagalli family infused its company with strong core values and set the standard for the "PC Way".

The company quickly expanded into residential and remodeling projects, necessitating a name change to Pizzagalli Construction Company in 1960. Upon the death of Angelo G., the masonry operation was phased out and focus shifted to commercial, industrial and institutional building projects.

The company grew by leaps and bounds over the next few years, attracting expert construction professionals with diverse backgrounds and formed a team that would become Vermont’s largest construction company by 1964. As the company expanded, so did its reach — projects spread across the United States and into the Caribbean. Since the mid-1980s, the company has been ranked among the top 200 largest construction firms in the Nation by Engineering News-Record.

In 1998, Angelo, Jim, and Remo Pizzagalli began divesting their ownership in the company, a transition that led to 100% employee-ownership in 2009. Two years later, the company name was changed to PC Construction Company — a natural progression reflecting the shift from a small, family business started in 1958 to a thriving company now fully owned by the employees.

PC Construction Historical Timeline

Our modest entry into the industry was marked by the installation of a flagpole foundation at a post office in Vermont. Now, with over $500 million worth of work annually and successful projects spanning the country, our employee-owners combine the company’s rich history with a focus on delivering exceptional value and the highest quality construction projects.

Here is a snapshot of the extraordinary people and great projects that make up our 57 years in construction.

Angelo and Remo Pizzagalli in the Company’s Early Years

1958

Pizzagalli Pre-Cast Stone was formed with six people on the payroll and gross sales for 1958 of $25,000. Just two years later, the manufacture of pre-cast stone was discontinued and the name Pizzagalli Construction Company was adopted.

1960

Work began at PC’s first wastewater treatment plant project in Shelburne, Vermont, valued at $48,000. This project marked the company’s entry in the water and wastewater treatment market.

1966

PC became one of the first construction employers to institute a health insurance program for hourly employees. This commitment carried into the following years and PC became well-known for taking care of their employees.

1969

Work began on the extensive reconstruction of the historic Pavilion Hotel in Montpelier, Vermont, one of the most monumental and unique projects in the company’s early history.

1975

A formalized training program for recent college graduates was developed. While the name and structure of this program has been enhanced over the years, it remains an integral piece of PC’s Learning and Development initiative. Seen here is the class of 1994.

1983

PC celebrated its 25th year in the construction business. During this time, Vermont Governor Richard A. Snelling remarked:

“The development and growth of this company sets an example for others beginning the process you commenced 25 years ago. Your record is proof-positive that dedication, perseverance and hard work are the core ingredients required for success.”

1991

Three plants for Pennsylvania Gas and Water became PC’s first integrated delivery water treatment projects when the owner sought a fast-track solution to solve its water quality problems.

1997

PC continued to enhance its safety program with the addition of a Zero Accidents – No Excuses philosophy. This program was developed to assist teams with identifying risks and hazards for upcoming work tasks so a plan could be developed to eliminate them.

2000

PC was honored by the AGC of America with the first Contractor Safety Excellence Award in the Heavy Division, a testament to PC’s dedication to safety and resulting performance over the years.

2002

The Employee Stock Ownership Plan was established, beginning the gradual transfer of ownership to the employees.

2003

PC was honored with two 2003 Build America Awards, one for the Building Under $5 million Renovation category for the L.D.M. Sweat Galleries and McLellan House Historical Restoration project at the Portland Museum of Art and one in the Municipal and Utilities Renovation category for the R.M. Clayton Water Reclamation Expansion project.

2007

PC’s Student Residential Learning Complex project for The University of Vermont achieved LEED Gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council and was the first LEED Gold educational facility in the State of Vermont.

2009

After just seven short years, the ownership transition was completed and PC became 100% employee owned.

2011

A new era begins and the company officially changed its name from Pizzagalli Construction to PC Construction in recognition of the company’s shift from a small, family business to a thriving employee-owned company.

2013

Kevin McCarthy named president and chief executive officer, ushering in the third generation of leadership at PC.

Work also began on the $125 million Waterbury State Office Complex, the largest project ever awarded by the State of Vermont and a critical step in the revitalization of the Town of Waterbury in the aftermath of Tropical Storm Irene.

2015

The thermal hydrolysis process (THP) and anaerobic digesters, as part of PC’s $215 million Main Process Train project, began producing electricity from wastewater. Constructed at the Blue Plains AWWTP in Washington DC, this is the first treatment plant installation of the Cambi THP in the United States and is the largest THP plant in the world — a truly impressive model for sustainability at our nation’s treatment plants.

skip to: Intro | 1958 | 1960
|
1966 | 1969 | 1975 | 1983 | 1991
|
1997 | 2000 | 2002 | 2003 | 2007
|
2009 | 2011 | 2013 | 2015